The Archdiocese of Jaro is the fifth oldest diocese in the country. It was created a diocese by virtue of a papal bull of Pope Pius IX on May 27, 1865. Bishop Mariano Cuartero, a Dominican, took possession of the diocese on April 25, 1868. The new diocese then included the entire island of Panay (today’s Capiz, Aklan, Iloilo and Antique provinces), Negros Island, Romblon and Palawan in the Visayas; Jolo, Zamboanga, Cotabato and Davao in the island of Mindanao. This vast territory was later divided to form new ecclesiastical jurisdictions: Zamboanga in 1910, Bacolod in 1933, Capiz in 1951 and San Jose de Antique in 1962. On June 29, 1951, a papal bull by His Holiness Pope Pius XII raised Jaro to an Archdiocese which comprises the civil Province and City of Iloilo and Province of Guimaras. The suffragans of the archdiocese are the dioceses of Bacolod, San Jose de Antique, San Carlos and Kabankalan.